Saturday, June 25, 2011

Borders of quilts

1. I decided to start quilting the outer border of the quilt currently in the frame, because I came across a spot where my original marking was still intact enough that I could see it to work from, and I can use the worked bit as a reference for areas where it's been worn off. That means I'm moving more slowly, but, once I finish an area, that area is done.

I'm excited to think of getting this quilt finished. Even though it's 100+ degrees out (well, if you count the heat index), I'm still quilting on it. I do have to have the ceiling fan going and take frequent breaks, just because it's too much to have numerous pounds of fabric + batting sitting in your lap for very long.

2. When I do quilt the Dozen Roses quilt top (I think that's the next-next quilt, after I do the Sea Glass one), I found the BEST border for it. This is a quilt that has cutesy animal fabrics in it, right? Going through some of the accumulated quilt stencils I own, I found a bag from the Nancy's Notions shop in Wisconsin. (I'm thinking I stopped there after the Prairie Conference meetings in 2004 - that was the last time I was up that way).

It was mice. A cute, cartoony-simple bird's eye view of mice. And it's just the right width. (Oh, hey, this is the very stencil). So I tucked it in with the top and backing so I'd be able to find it (quickly) and use it when it comes time to mark and baste that quilt.

(I don't know if it's foolhardy to baste quilts any in advance before putting them in the frame - on the one hand, it would be nice to have them just DONE because basting is kind of a pain, but on the other, I'd be afraid of creases and wrinkles getting into the top or backing during the time they are waiting, stored.)

No comments: