Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Grading is done

I just graded the last exam paper of the spring. (Tomorrow: tally up the grades. If the computer dude was able to resurrect my hard drive, I will be doing that on my office computer; he came in just as I was leaving to go to a funeral (an older member of my church died and I know her family well))

I'm glad to be done. This was a long semester.

I spent most of the afternoon grading seated on my yoga ball with a lap desk. It seemed to cause less of a hip ache than the typical desk chair I use does - I don't know if that's because my hip is bent at a less extreme angle, or it's more cushioned, or it's the constant posture-adjustments necessary to keep the ball from rolling away.

I also got a lot done on the Miss Marple shawl while invigilating the exams. I admit, it probably looked a bit foolish or obsessed as all the rooms were humid and one of them was rather warm, but I CAN'T spend two hours walking around the classroom doing nothing.

I'm telling myself the nearly four hours on my feet today invigilating counts as exercise. I'm going to try gently starting back up tomorrow (not trying to do 6.5 miles in an hour as I had been doing - either I will do less time or will go at a slower pace) and see what happens.

I get sort of low-grade grouchy when I'm hurting. I normally never have much in the way of pain or mobility issues so it both bothers and annoys me when I have them, and also just hurting makes me crabby. Fortunately I recognize that I'm feeling that way and can force myself to be cheerful to people.

Now I have to figure out some kind of dinner. I didn't eat much lunch; I was busy and also just didn't get very hungry at lunchtime, but I can feel it now.

No comments: