Friday, April 15, 2011

Last night's weather

I finished up the "knowing what to do in an emergency" federal training thingie.

My assessment: most of the stuff was the common-sense stuff I'd do anyway (or saw people on Criminal Minds or NCIS doing - like "reading in" people who are new to a situation). I doubt, however, that I'll remember if the person in charge of Operations or Planning after an "incident" is called a "Section Chief" or a "Section Leader" or what.

(Like a lot of governmental things, they seem to be awfully fond of their terminology. I think in a real emergency if I were, I don't know, applying pressure to someone's sucking chest wound, and I saw the person who was in charge of me walk by and I needed to speak to him, I'd either call him by name or go "Hey, you!" than try to remember if "Chief" or "Leader" or "Boss" or whatever was the correct term.

And you KNOW there will be some people, even in a serious incident, who will get their backs up about being called "Team Leader" when they're really a "Section Chief"...)

***

It was ironic I completed the training yesterday. We were scheduled to get bad weather. Nothing really until about 5 pm, then they started talking on the local news about storms off to the west and north of where I live. I kept waiting for them but they never materialized right here. (I had a pile of quilts and blankets in my bathtub, just like last year, and I had moved my battery powered radio, and a battery powered camp lantern, and some good sturdy shoes, and other stuff, into the bathroom, just in case).

They pre-empted the prime-time programming (until at least 8:30; it's been a long time since I saw that) to cover the weather.

There were some tornadoes discussed - shortly before I went to bed they said there was a large one near Tushka, which is about 25 miles north of me.

I didn't realize how large. This morning they are saying there are two people dead, more missing, and the school there (Tushka is not a large town and I guess they had just one school) was destroyed. Apparently it is very bad.

(And here's something that makes me sad: repeatedly they felt they had to say on the news: unless you are a first responder called there, or you have loved ones you need to go and find at the shelter, STAY AWAY. Apparently they have problems with people wanting to rubberneck situations like that. Ugh.)

There was also a small tornado near Madill, which is much closer to me, but apparently it only damaged some sheds and outbuildings and no one was hurt.

We got about a half inch of rain. We really needed more rain but I'm glad we dodged the really severe weather.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why do you need to be in the bathroom when there is a storm alert? So you're closer to water supply/dispose or there is some other reason?