Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Break sneaks up

Oh hey, next week is my spring break.

Like Thanksgiving, this break sneaks up on me - it's mid-semester, it's all WORKWORKWORKWORK and then realize, uh-oh, I have to get to the post office to get my mail held. And do laundry early this week. And pack. (And this go-round: remember to gather up all my tax documents; spring break is when I do my taxes*)

(*I guess the apple does not fall far from the tree. I remember many years - the local public schools where I grew up followed the same schedule as the university where my dad taught - of my brother and me having to tiptoe around while he worked on them. And I remember one year we didn't go on the usual Spring Break trip because one of the places he had to get paperwork from didn't get it to him early enough.)

So I also want to think about projects. I never have as much time over Spring Break as I think (Well, I never have as much time over any break as I think I will). I am going to take the socks-on-the-needles (neither one ever photographed yet because they are both just begun). One of them is a Nancy Bush pattern (ravelry link to them - not a particularly revealing photo, though) and the other pair is a pair of Serendipity Socks (a photo of someone else's pair is here).

I'm using a long-in-the-stash Alpaca Sox yarn for the Elegant socks, and some Malabrigo sockweight for the Serendipity socks.

I also think that THIS TIME I am going to remember both the book and the yarn for the crocheted pony that I wanted to make over Christmas break, then found I had forgot the book at home, which meant a trip out to the library in the (ultimately dashed) hope that they'd have the book.

Not sure what else I'll take. More sock yarn? Maybe wind off the green yarn I bought over my birthday weekend and take the Genmaicha pattern I bought to make out of it?

As for books, I'm trying to finish "1066" (I'm close to done) so I can start something new (maybe re-start A Distant Mirror, which is kinda-sorta about the same era (Well, 400 or so years later, but it might as well be the same era, for all I know about it. Most of the history I learned in school started around Shakespeare. And an aside: Enguerrand the 7th, referenced heavily in that book, was also briefly mentioned by Martin Prince in an episode of The Simpsons - I think it was the one where they were trying to set up a mock-medieval society. I saw that in re-runs after starting the book for the first time and I laughed because then I got the reference.)

Also, I got another gift book (I can only assume it to be such, as I did not order it) - The Mammoth Book of Roaring 20s Whodunits showed up in my mailbox yesterday. There was no note of who might have sent it (the Amazon associates seem not to do that) so I really don't know who sent it. Whoever it was, thank you. I may well take it with me on break because those kind of short stories are perfect train-reading.

1 comment:

dragon knitter said...

you're welcome! they don't give an option to put a message on the invoice, otherwise i would!