Thursday, March 10, 2011

Approaching escape velocity

This time tomorrow night, if all goes as it should, I should be on a northbound train, either eating my dinner or just having finished it.

I am essentially all packed (have to add in the stuff like my hairbrush and vitamins and make-up and all that in the morning). I've got a lot of projects, probably more than I can even work on. But I always like having the luxury of choice, and if you're carrying a sock book with one pattern you are knitting on in it, it's minimal extra weight to put in the yarn and additional needles for another pair of socks in that book you want to start.

I decided on the book of 1920s mysteries (again, thank you, anonymous giver) and The Distant Mirror as reading. (And 1066, if I don't finish it tonight - I think I have about 60 pages left so I likely will not).

I did finish one thing this week - these are the Paton's Kroy FX socks that started out as a knit-and-read journal articles project:

Kroy FX 2

The color is called "Cameo Colors." All the yarns in the line have some "C" name for the colorways: Copper colors for an orange mix, Cascade colors for a dark blue mix, and so on.

For a fairly inexpensive and widely-available (Hobby Lobby has it) yarn, it works up into a really nice fabric. The yarn is slightly heavier than standard sock weight - sort of between sock and sport - so it makes nice cushy socks. And I'm always a sucker for those sort of ombre color effects. (And this yarn is much more nicely behaved than the Mini Mochi or Poems Sock or Kureyon sock yarn. Maybe it's not as outrageous in its color shifts, but it's also far, far less splitty).

Fifty grams of this DOES have a shorter yardage (166 yards as opposed to the more typical 215 or so) than other 50 gram balls of sockyarn (probably because it's thicker), so longer or larger socks might require three skeins. Or socks knit in a more yardage-intensive pattern, like cables. (I wonder how cables would look in this...)

I have a bunch more of this in my stash - it was a combination of a good sale on it at Hobby Lobby, and me out doing some self-pity shopping, so I have the Clover Colors, and Copper Colors, and Cascade Colors, and I think Camo Colors (greens and greys) as well. So I can make myself more ombre-ing socks when I want to. (Though the copper colored one I have, that might wind up becoming a hat instead, I think that would look nice with my hair).

2 comments:

Lydia said...

Those are pretty. Have a good trip!

Anonymous said...

What method you prefer for knitting socks - on 4 needles or on a circular?

have a pleasant trip