Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day

That is meant sarcastically. So far, I've had

- one person who promised me, cross your heart and hope to die, stick a needle in your eye, to hand in a LATE PAPER ASAP never did. (I REALLY said, "I want it by 5 pm [last] Friday" but no one ever "hears" that when I say it).

- I still have a bunch of grading to do and I am all graded out.

- I kind of hurt all over. I just realized that sitting down to the piano to practice: my upper back and shoulders hurt, my knees kind of hurt. I don't know why. Also, I can't get my fingers to do what I want them to do on the piano and I am losing patience with myself.

- A person I was depending on for something flaked out 100% spectacularly on it. Like, a sitcom-grade flakeage. It would be really funny if it were not happening to me. Or to anyone in their real life for that matter. It would be hilarious if it were happening to a character where I knew the actress was making more in a month than I make in a year to put up with that kind of foolishness.

- I may not need the cakes I baked because there is "leftover cake from last night" that apparently "needs to be used up." Oh, so I just used six eggs and a couple cups of sugar and even went out and bought a box of cake flour for nothing. Oh well. The smaller cake turned out badly, it looks - it collapsed and pulled away from the pan edges, I don't know what went wrong. If I don't use it tonight I will probably just throw it away because it looks so sad.

- Running errands this afternoon, I was stopped by a funeral procession. That's not the bad part. The bad part is, in the middle of the procession, someone turned and I thought the procession was over and pulled through the intersection they were going through and then after I was through realized the procession was still going. I FEEL TERRIBLE ABOUT THIS. I was not raised to be the kind of speshul snowflake who pulls through a funeral procession because they think they are a hurry. I tried telling myself "the intel was bad" because of the person who turned but I still don't feel any better.

- My spring allergies have started up.

- Even though I am nearly 42, have been doing this for at least 32 years without any success, I still walk to the mailbox vaguely hoping there will be a surprise valentine for me. Just like Charlie Brown. And just like Charlie Brown I am disappointed. And then I'm irritated at myself for being disappointed because I am nearly 42 and should totally know better.

- We're in the throes of flu season here which means people missing class, missing tests, missing due-dates and I have to tap dance all over the place to keep up with who needs to do what and who has an excuse to hand what in late. And it's making me tired and cranky because I really wish things would just be simple for once: 24 students in a class, 24 papers due, 24 papers on my desk on the due date. IT NEVER WORKS OUT THAT WAY. Someone always has an excuse.

- I have an evening meeting tonight but what I'd really like to do is go to bed. I can't, though, because I have responsibilities at this meeting.

- I have another cake to bake for Thursday.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

Cut yourself some slack on the funeral procession. That's not the worst thing that could happen. Quite possibly you weren't the only one who did that. Not long ago I was on the way to a wedding shower and got behind a long line of traffic on the highway. I got in the passing lane and only after I was out there did I realize the line was a funeral procession. I figured they'd turn on the Interstate and go to the National Cemetary but they did. I needed to get on the Interstate so I cut through their procession in order to get over there. I did not delay their procession and I doubt that you delayed the folks today either.

If you don't use the larger cake tonight, can you freeze it and use it for Thursday's cake?

I had an appointment to have my car serviced (90,000 mile service)today and since I've been sick for several days with this bronchitis stuff, I totally forgot about it. I had to call and reschedule the appointment. The saving factor was that I do sound sick on the phone so the girl knew I wasn't making this up.