Friday, February 11, 2011

Back to reality

Thanks for all the nice comments on the sweater. Checking my Ravelry log, I see I started it in fall 2009, so it's good to have it done.

Next sweater will be getting back to Potter, and I also have another cardi - one out of a back issue of Interweave Knits, it's actually one that I got the specific yarn for one birthday a couple years ago - it's made out of the Nashua "fuzzy" yarn, it's sort of a bluegreen color with feather-and-fan bands around the bottom in neutrals (Brushed Lace Cardigan - Winter 2007. Thank you, Ravelry search. If you're a member you can see the cardigan here). I think the sweater was designed to be knit on a size 9 or so, so that will be a nice change from wee tiny needles.

Campus is back open. I had a few scary moments driving in - there's still ice on the streets. And Wilson, which I come up to get to my building, is twisty-turny and hilly. And then, as I was getting up to the first blindish curve, I realized, "Holy cow, is that a Coca-Cola truck coming down Wilson?"

It was. So I pulled over as fast as I could (Wilson is narrow and also the apartments along it permit parking on the street - and because of the person who owns the apartment building (or so I'm told) the cops/TPTB in the town never do anything about the fact that the street is essentially one lane for most of the area by the apartments). The guy slowly edged past me on the ice. I'm glad he was going slowly and that I could get over when I did.

Hopefully by the time I head home for the day it will be close to 50 and the ice will be all gone.

And then it's supposed to be in the 70s next week. If that stays that way, I can use the "assessment testing day" (we need to cancel all classes so they can do testing of some of the students) to get my spring soil invertebrate sample. Though I'm not sure how much I will find given the cold winter...perhaps it would be better to wait until AFTER spring break to do the sampling, I don't know.

No comments: