Friday, January 14, 2011

Good to have...

...friends in library places.

I was looking for a particular article, and Tweeted my dismay at not being able to get access to it through our various subscription services. One of the people that follows me (and that I follow. There should be a term for mutual following in Twitter) sent me a message asking for the citation, as she might be able to find it.

She works at the Bodleian Library. THE BODLEIAN. As a book-nerd and library-nerd from childhood, that just thrills me. I sent the citation, doubting they'd have it (it's from a technical soils journal).

I get a message back: Send me your e-mail so I can send you the .pdf.

Awesome. While I can't use the techniques discussed in the article (I was hoping, but no, it would probably take an $80,000 plus grant to get the lab up to speed for it), still, it's an interesting idea.


I'm doing sort of a desultory literature search this afternoon. I must start planning my summer research and while I have an idea, I'm not sure if (a) it's been done already (b) it's just not that interesting and therefore not worth doing or (c) there's something better I could do. So I'm checking up recent literature on the geographic area I'm in to see if there are any ideas that leap out at me.

On the one hand, I'm thrilled not to be looking forward to a summer of struggling to keep up with fast-moving classes but on the other I'm scared I won't come up with good enough research and will wind up wasting the summer.

No comments: