Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Magical thinking, perhaps

So, after I realized that Ardmore would be another place I could go to pick up tickets, and that it would actually be kind of-sort of doable on Friday (I have only 2 soil samples left to go through and can do that tomorrow after giving my exam), I thought, "Yeah, now after I plan out how to fix it, watch the tickets come today."

I know as a scientist I'm not supposed to be superstitious or give in to "magical thinking" (as in: "I brought my umbrella so it won't rain now") but sometimes stuff just happens, you know?

Guess what was in my mailbox when I got home this afternoon? The tickets. Including (sigh) the "continuation" ticket for when I have to get on the bus in St. Louis (because of trackwork, we are being bused from St. Louis to our destinations in Illinois).

On one of the ravelry boards I frequent, people ask for (and offer) "mojo" (as a nondenominational version of prayers/good thoughts) for situations. I could use some mojo that the roads in Illinois will not be icy, and there will not be blizzard conditions next week. I suppose if it's really bad Amtrak would have to put me up in St. Louis until I COULD get home, but I'd rather it just happened as fast and easily as possible...

2 comments:

Lydia said...

Mojo sent your way.

Charlotte said...

When are you leaving? Here is the weather forecast for Fenton (suburb of St. Louis) as of tonight:

Overnight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 18. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph.

Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 43. South wind between 6 and 14 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph.

Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 29. South wind between 7 and 11 mph.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 49. South wind around 7 mph.

Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 34. South wind around 5 mph.

Saturday: Occasional rain. High near 43. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Saturday Night: Rain and snow likely, becoming all snow after 8pm. Cloudy and blustery, with a low around 21.

Sunday: Mostly cloudy and blustery, with a high near 25.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 8.

Monday: Sunny, with a high near 24.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 11.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 29.

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 19.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 35.

This is from http://www.forecast.weather.gov/
You can type in the name of the city where you're going and get the forecast for that area.