Sunday, October 24, 2010

Break is over

Sadly, yes. Tomorrow classes start up again as usual.

Friday, the day was partly lost. For one thing, I went and got my flu shot. It took nearly an hour, in the middle of the day. In the past, I had gone to the county health department and while it was fine some years, other years it was like a cattle-call. And one year I got in line behind a mother and 7 or 8 year old daughter - the daughter just had found out that for some reason she could not get the mist vaccine and would need to get the needle instead. And she was rather inconsolable about that fact. And as I don't like needles myself, it was even more stressful to stand there in line behind a sobbing child.

So this year I decided to try one of the local pharmacies. That was kind of a mistake. I waited a long time to talk to someone. Then I waited to get my paperwork. Then I waited to get the shot. Because apparently someone had called in sick.

Then the pharmacist gave the shot in the wrong place - they're supposed to give it up in the deltoid; he gave it lower, more like in the tricep (and my triceps are less muscle-y than my deltoids). It still hurts, and there's still a small knot there. I just hope the shot 'takes.'

So next year, I guess, back to the health department, and maybe bring earplugs.

****

Yesterday I considered going over to my office and doing some grading and writing an exam. Because, I knew I could do them Monday night, but that would be a lot more hectic. But I wound up not doing it. Because of this:

October rain

That's not even as hard as it rained much of the day. And they kept talking about hail on the weather station so I decided to stay home.

Besides, there was an NCIS "marathon" on. Now, granted: I have seen most episodes a minimum of four times, so it's to the point where I mainly have them on as background noise and maybe look up when a favorite scene comes on. But still, it was nice to have it.

And I finished two things:

first fingerless mitts

The first pair of Christmas fingerless mitts. The pattern is called "Mitt Envy;" it's available for free on Ravelry (but I'm not sure if it's out there elsewhere). It's a nice fast knit and it looks more complex than it actually is. I'm going to make a second pair of different yarn for myself and drop in a different 12-stitch cable than the one shown here.

This is just one of the many uses of fingering-weight yarn. These took maybe 1/3 of a 400-yard or so ball of sockyarn.

I also finally finished the Ninja socks.

finished ninjas

It's really hard to see the lace-and-purl stitch pattern on these because the yarn is dark (it's a dark purple, called "Marionberry").

ninjasock

This photo shows the pattern a bit better.

I'm very pleased with how comfortable this yarn is. It's a cotton-wool-lycra blend in a sockweight yarn (it's KnitPicks "Risata.") You make the socks just a bit smaller than you would with a 100% wool yarn because of the stretchiness. But the lycra makes the socks super comfortable and the yarn looks nice knit up.

Today I did drive over to school before church and grabbed my grading and the materials needed to write my exam and I did those this afternoon. Because I knew I'd be a lot happier being able to work on research Monday afternoon and to be able to come home Monday evening and relax, instead of trying to do grading in my office. (I actually find it a lot easier to grade at home; there are fewer distractions and more room for me to spread out. I should probably adjust my out-of-class working schedule so I just plan to take any grading home with me; it's that much easier to do it here.)

No comments: