Wednesday, September 01, 2010

I got nothing

I was on campus, or otherwise involved with work-related activity, for more than 12 hours yesterday. (And it doesn't help that my office has been running somewhere over 83 degrees F; being in that kind of heat all day, even if I'm fairly sedentary working, wipes me out)

When I did get home (nearly 8 pm), I did do the last few lines of stitching on the quilt top (the vintage one, in the frame) and shifted the top to a new position. So there's that.

Another thought on plagiarism: when I was doing my Plagiarism Cop* check on some student positional papers, I noticed something....if you type in a line from a published paper, there is a very good chance about 10 or 12 different sites on the 'Net will have that very line, verbatim, and then cite the authors. And they don't put the line in quotation marks - so it fits one of the (stricter) definitions of plagiarism. (You're really supposed to EITHER paraphrase or use quotation marks/blockquote formatting. If you're lifting a line verbatim, and you don't let people know, that's technically plagiarism.)

I wonder if maybe all of those sites need to be Rickrolled with this:



(And yes, I'm trying to work out if there's going to be enough time in my presentation to show part of that. If not, I'm going to at least provide the link, because it's both to-the-point and funny.)


(*Plagiarism Cop: it's like Kindergarten Cop, only not funny.)

No comments: