Thursday, August 19, 2010

now that's sad

Sometimes, surfing around, you find something a little sad.

I was looking at some of the Ohio historical sites (I don't know why but thinking about places like Deep Lock Quarry make me feel cooler).

And I found out that Hudson School #2, which was where I attended third grade, has been torn down. Just this year.

I suppose it was a matter of not being able to make it code-compliant, and it having outlived its purpose, but it still makes me a little sad. Yet another building that only lives as a ghost in my memories.

(There are more photos of the exterior here. It wasn't, perhaps, a beautiful building, but I can still remember the smell of the steam trays at lunchtime, and the view from Mrs. Irish's third-floor corner classroom, and sitting out on the steps with my friends....

(And more history: Summit Memories, devoted to Summit County. They have a whole section on houses in the town where I grew up. In fact, the very street on which I grew up - Atterbury Boulevard - is featured. (I never knew that it was going to be an early housing development, and the would-be developer went bust in the Depression! And that, apparently, one of the few "old" houses on the street was the weird old place we referred to as the "Vonderheide House" - it always seemed odd to me that the gothicky old house didn't fit in with the more modest 1950s/60s Colonials and ranches, but now it makes sense - it was built in 1928, before the developer went bust.

Fascinating. (And I'm kind of relieved the developer went bust; I don't know that my parents would have bought a house in a ritzy subdivision called "Lake Forest.")

1 comment:

CGHill said...

The school I attended (first and second grade) in Corpus Christi, Texas was knocked flat in the middle 1980s to make room for, yes, a shopping center. (I'd been hearing this on and off for several years; in 2008, I actually drove down to Corpus and hit up the clippings section at the library. Yep.)