Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Diversity in radio

I have the (still free, but I think I will subscribe when the trial period runs out) Sirius radio in my car.

I usually leave it set to the "Classical Pops" station, that one being the one that plays stuff I like the greatest majority of the time.

But this morning, they were playing the "Lento" from Gorecki's Symphony #3. And I'm sorry, but Gorecki - or at least, this symphony - makes me depressed. So I just reached over without looking, and smacked one of the radio buttons to change the station.

It went to another pre-set: 80s on 8. (I went to high school in the 80s. That's my justification of assigning it one of the pre-sets.)

They were playing "Whip It" by Devo.

I had to laugh at the sheer incongruity. (And while I wouldn't agree with Professor Pangloss that we "live in the best of all possible worlds," still, there's something to be said for living in a world where you can have music without having to hire, pay, house, and feed the musicians, and where you have access to music from most eras of the past.)

***

The hive problem seems to be going away. Perhaps I'm acclimating to the heat again, and I just wasn't used to it after being in Illinois, where people were complaining about 85 degrees being "SOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOT." Or the antihistamine kicked in. Or something. I don't know. I get weird sensitivities to stuff that wax and wane and I never know the exact cause sometimes.

***

Another finished object. This is the "Pinstripe Slouch Hat" from Knitting 24/7.

close up of purl side

It's knit of sockweight yarn. I used Black Bunny Fibers' Merino sockyarn. The colorway is called Mary Cassat.

Much of this hat was knit on the way to, and on the way back from, the Prairie Conference (I wound up not driving myself there or home.) It's a very simple pattern. And it's my first ever use of the "knit into the stitch below" instruction, which is functionally the same as having slipped a stitch, I guess. (Maybe someday I will try Brioche stitch, which uses the knit-into-stitch-below as part of its structure).

The hat is constructed to be reversible - you can wear the purl side out:

purl side of slipped-stitch cloche

Or you can wear it knit side out:

knit side of slipped-stitch cloche

They show it (in the big picture) worn purl side out in the book, but I think I prefer the knit side as the "public" side of the hat.

It came out a little big. It's not "I'm gonna rip it out and reknit it" big, but be forewarned that you might want to either make the next size smaller (this is the medium size) or go down a needle size. (I also made the hat shorter - 6" rather than 6"1/2 inches. But even at that I have to position it carefully so it doesn't fall over my eyes.)

2 comments:

CGHill said...

Weirdly, Gorecki's Third doesn't depress me at all, despite its way-beyond-woeful subject matter. I'm not quite sure why, but I'm thinking that the minimalist style in which it's written imposes a form of discipline on the listener, to the extent that it becomes difficult to wallow in all that sorrow.

But then, maybe that's just me. God knows I'm not at all incapable of wallowing.

Mom on Health Patrol said...

My youngest son gets weird hive-like rashes in hot weather, too. Have never figured it out. He has paler skin than the rest of us, so I wonder if he's more "sensitive."