Saturday, August 28, 2010

Christmas in August?

I really need to be finishing my grading, but taking a break and browsing some of the Ohio history sites (this is one linked to the library in the little town where I grew up), I ran across this photo.

Every year, as far as I remember, when they were in business there, Terex did that - set up a Santa's sleigh display with their heavy equipment as the reindeer. I remember as a kid my family driving out there specifically to see it.

I think in the 1970s, when I remember it, they actually had a red bulb for Rudolph's nose. That photo looks like it could be from the 1960s, judging from the way the women are dressed. (Or maybe the early 70s, I don't know.)

Terex doesn't exist in Hudson any more.(I think they still exist as a company). Their former headquarters now belong to JoAnn Fabrics, and I also think that some of the catalog companies (Wireless/Signals/Bas Bleu and others) have their catalog "offices" there, at least those catalogs have a Hudson address, even if the distribution centers are located elsewhere. (I've never been quite familiar enough, when calling in an order, to ask if the order taker is actually IN Hudson, and then commenting I grew up there).

****

Speaking of photos, if I can get my act together and my work done, I'm going to go downtown to one of the nice little shops and see if I can buy a few photo frames for the family pictures I have. I know that at least three of them, I really want to frame and put up on the wall.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Late '60s or later; the car on the far right looks like a 67 or 68 Chevy Impala. My first car was a 69 Impala; they had 3 square tail lights, but I'm pretty sure the round ones were '67.