Wednesday, July 14, 2010

girly girly girl

But first off:

I don't like this one bit:












This is the image that the NWS is using to indicate our weather for the rest of the week. I'm not entirely sure but that might be the eye of Sauron, there.

****

A couple of girly-girl sort of things. As I said before, I think I'm becoming more girly over time. I'm not sure whether it's a response to the sense I have of becoming increasingly "invisible" (not that I ever was exactly VISIBLE, in the sense of turning heads  on the street) or if it's that I've finally decided that I can be a little girly and still be taken somewhat seriously.

New toenail polish:

"Cherries in the Snow"

The color is called "Cherries in the Snow." I chose it in part because I think that's a color that's been around for a long time. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the lipstick version of this color was one of the colors deemed "acceptable" for WAVEs and other military women to wear during WWII. And I don't know why, but I always like those little historical links.

Besides, it's a nice color. Not quite bright red, but not really pink either.

(Ugh, my feet are really veiny. Actually, it's because my skin is so thin and so fair. The blood drive people like to see me coming because they can always find a vein.)

girly girl socks

And these are the socks I've been working on off and on. The yarn is Wisdom Yarn's "Poem," the color (I was told, the ballband just has a number) is called "Girly girl." I'm just getting to the point where the sequence starts again.

I like these sort of ombre yarns but so far every one I've tried (the Kureyon, the Mini Mochi, and to a lesser extent, this one) are splitty and kind of rough or scratchy. (Though the Kureyon did soften up upon washing). I also have some K1C2 "Ty-Dy" in the stash that seems like it will be softer, though maybe not have the same intergrading quality that these yarns have. (I suppose it has something to do with the plying, that it both allows for the intergradation but also makes them scratchier.)

4 comments:

TJ said...

We had that picture last week and I just had to laugh to prevent myself from crying. It's the "it's so hot who cares if it's partly cloudy?" picture.

Lynn said...

That first picture looks like some distant, uninhabitable planet. Or maybe Earth in one of its early stages, billions of years ago before there were even any microorganisms.

CGHill said...

Better "veiny" than torn up from two decades of stilettos, I should think.

Mom on Health Patrol said...

I like that nail color and its history. I've been gravitating to a subtle white this summer for some reason, and have never had the courage for a bright red/pink. Go for it!