Thursday, July 15, 2010

And nobody died

We did fieldwork yesterday afternoon for lab.

It was hot. I don't know what the heat index was then, but it was 105 when I got home around 6 pm.

I think I'm becoming more adjusted to the hot weather; I remember the first or second summer I was here, I had to end a lab early (it was the tree-identification lab) because I was getting shaky and lightheaded and running out of breath in the heat. This time, I didn't have any problems. And I was running around pretty much (partly to make sure people had no questions about identifying trees but also because there's one person in the class who had a Scary Health Incident a year ago and I wanted to quietly keep an eye on him to make sure he was OK)

I felt OK out in the field but was pretty wiped out by the time I got home, and I feel sort of tired and headachey today (though that could also be allergies; there was a lot of pollen out there and the humidity kind of kept it suspended in the air.)

But we managed and we got done, despite the Heat Advisory or Extreme Heat Warning or whatever they're calling it.

No comments: