Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I had considered the Flex - unlike some people, I think it's cute. (Yes, I know, that's kind of a damning word for a car). It's kind of like the old 50s "Estate Wagons" re-envisioned. Or at least that's how I see it. Or, I think it looks kind of like what the love-child of a Mini and a Suburban would look like.

Two problems with the Flex, though:

1. It would not fit in my garage. It's really long...I'm sure it's bigger than the Windstar, which I can barely garage now. It's really a monster car...I didn't realize how large it was until I looked at it up close at the dealer. Or maybe it's not that large but it just seems very large.

2. Being able to carry 7 people means you will be asked on occasion to carry 7 people, whether you want to or not. (And if you're someone who doesn't drink alcohol....well, you can do the math).

One thing I like about the Edge is that you can fold down the rear passenger seats very easily and have a big cargo bay. Mainly what I need (and want, see number 2 above) is the ability to carry cargo...and carry cargo out of the rain (which is why a small pickup didn't appeal). Also, there's an optional heavy-duty rubber mat (which I am getting) that you can put in the back - so you can stack up your bags of soil or your grubby insect nets or your plant presses and not get dirt all over the carpet. (Yes, the cargo bay is carpeted, and I'm not in love with that, but you take what you can get).

(And of course it means I can also go antiquing and find cute things, even cute things up to 6 feet in length, and carry them back home in my car).

It took me an hour to clear everything out of Eggbert last night. I also found my old pair of field boots that I thought I had disposed of, and a pink cotton cardigan (not one I had knit) that I thought I had lost somewhere.

The new car, I swear I am going to be better about not loading it up with crud. I'm going to buy a plastic crate to keep my plant-identification books in, and maybe a second crate for some of the field gear I like to have close to hand (clippers, loupes, ziplock bags), but I'm going to do my best not to turn the new car into a filing cabinet/garbage can/junk drawer on wheels.

1 comment:

CGHill said...

You're not imagining things. The Flex is about 16 inches longer than the Edge. (Wouldn't fit in my garage, either.)

And maybe it's too big for some other folks. For the first two months of the year, Ford moved 14,937 Edges and 5,254 Flexes.