Saturday, February 13, 2010

I also made double-corn cornbread to go with the beans. It was VERY good and almost laughably easy to make: you take a prepared "Jiffy" cornbread mix (mix, plus egg and milk), add a drained 12 ounce can of corn (actually, less corn would be more ideal: that amount made the bread break apart very easily). Cook it the usual time.

I almost always use a Jiffy mix when I want cornbread. They are inexpensive, they are easy, they are good, and for me, they have the little nostalgic punch of coming from Chelsea, MI - not far at all from where I used to live (Ann Arbor. And to my amazement - that's almost 20 years ago now.) I think a few times going out of town on field trips or to visit friends in the area I drove past the mill, I remember seeing the big towers (probably grain silos) with the Jiffy logo painted on them.

(The cornbread is probably the best mix they make. The pizza dough is not too bad either but I find that the cakes leave a little to be desired. Then again, I don't care for most "box" cakes.)

No comments: