Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Another thought:

I'm not sure how I feel about the idea of the idea of there being a specific guild for "modern" quilters.

On the one hand, I like the idea that a style of quilting I enjoy doing - and often like the finished product of - is getting bit of recognition. And that maybe people who don't go to a "traditional" guild could find a home there. But on the other hand, I twitch a little when people start divvying themselves up into smaller and smaller groups. A couple of reasons for that:

1. If you only meet with people who do the same style as you do, you don't learn as much. Or you might miss out on inspirations you would otherwise see. I've said many times I don't care as much for applique - like the big Baltimore Album quilts - both to do and in a quilt, as I do for geometric patchwork patterns. But I also recognize the artwork and the skill in doing applique, and I like being able to see examples of it from time to time and watch appliquers at their work.

2. (and I think this is the one that concerns me most) When people split off into factions, it gets faction-y. People begin to judge each other. "Oh, she does (sniff) TRADITIONAL quilts." Meaning, oh, she's an old stick in the mud. Or "She does that modern stuff." Meaning: I don't think she's bothering to develop her skills doing something challenging. Or "He does what he calls 'art' quilts." Meaning: the stuff he makes is just plain weird. Or: "She likes...novelty prints." Meaning: She doesn't have very good taste; her choice in fabrics is frankly kind of tacky."

And we don't need that. We. Don't. Need. That. Like what you like, dislike what you dislike...but it bugs me how some folk judge other people on the basis of choices that are personal. I understand the fact that some people get a feeling of something like superiority - or they allay their insecurities - by trying to make someone else look bad, but really, it's not helpful.

If I see something - say, a quilt - that I really love, that I think is beautiful, that I think is interesting, regardless of the technique, I'll link it here. And comment about what I like about it. If I see something I don't like, or that doesn't appeal to me, I tend to remain silent. Because, for one thing, I realize that what I like isn't what everyone likes, and second, it does seem kind of shabby to run down what someone else has done, when you could just as well either feature stuff YOU did, or praise the stuff people have done that you like.

(It's kind of like political ads, in a way. I'm far more prone to listen to an ad where the candidate says, "Here is my experience. Here is what I think I can do for the citizens" then if the candidate is merely saying, "My opponent is a big doody-head." Which, when it comes down to is, is what most negative ads essentially ARE).

So I express a little concern. Perhaps the idea of a new series of guilds is a good thing, it might let in people who don't feel welcomed in a "traditional" guild (but again: that should not be. Quilt guilds should - if they want to stay alive - welcome a diversity of people and a diversity of experiences.) But on the other hand, I don't want to see some bizarre Sharks vs. Jets rivalry spring up in the quilting world.

People are strange. They seem awfully good at seeing how other people are "different" or "weird" or "wrong" and not so good at seeing that at the most basic and important level, we are all pretty much the same.

3 comments:

Spike said...

Beautifully said. Thank you.

(Says the post-punk fine lace knitter whose project bags all feature skull and crossbones designs [because Everything Everywhere Ends Eventually]. We are all in process; we all contain multitudes.)

Big Alice said...

Dang, I like novelty prints. Ah well, I already know I have no taste :)

I feel like the divide in art/traditional quilters has been growing larger and larger in the last 10 years. It seems like there used to be some crossover and intermingling and quilts with components of each. Now when I take a look at quilt books it seems to have calcified, except for certain specific exceptions. I don't know. Maybe I'm not looking at the right books. I'm also not up on my quilting world as much as I was 5 years ago.

I wish the knitters would take a tip from the quilters though and start having shows that display their finished stuff! Wouldn't that be cool.

dragon knitter said...

our local spinners/weavers guild is a bit elitist like that. sigh