Tuesday, November 17, 2009

It's a good thing I did push to get the entire house cleaned this weekend. Yesterday, the contractors called - they are going to be in town today and could come out and measure for windows. So after I get out of class, I am going to go home and wait for them; they ought to be able to get out before my 1:30 meeting this afternoon.

****

I worked a bit more on the Clapotis last night. Did one more drop row. And I'm now beginning to worry if I will have enough yarn to make it as wide as I want it. I was able to complete just over four repeats on one ball, I have

I think my next project needs to be a pair of fingerless mitts made of fingering weight. It's cold in my office but the worsted-weight ones I had on make it too hard to type.

I've decided on a different pattern for the "Northern Lights" sock yarn (this is the one I had a photo of earlier - black with light greens). I'm going to use the Lepidoptera pattern, which is a freebee on the Simply Sock Yarns website. I like it better for this yarn, and I think the pattern will be faster to do than my original plan.

****

Two spoilers (though I'm not sure how spoily they are; I've not seen the show for the past 2 weeks or so) from last night's House, MD:





I have to admit I'm tiring of the soap-opera-ness of the subplots. I enjoy the "medical mystery" angle, and trying to figure out what the patient has, and I enjoy House's interactions with the "team," but, seriously: NO ONE, no one, of the eight or so "major" characters, has a happy marriage/relationship? Or seems to have the potential for one?

"Fore-teen" (gag) has broken up. Wilson has had several marriages and several relationships. Taub apparently cheated on his wife. House was married but got divorced (well, I'd probably divorce someone with that kind of an attitude too), Cuddy is chasing after some guy who, I'm sure he's over 30 seeing as he's a doctor, seems too young for her (And almost looks a bit like "House, Jr." Interesting, that.). And now Chase and Cameron have broken up and Cameron is leaving.

I know an awful lot of doctors who are happily coupled. Granted, it may not be the same kind of pressure cooker atmosphere as "Diagnostics" seems to generate, but I know a surgeon who's happily married (and married for a long time), so it doesn't seem impossible. And I know two doctors who are married and who work in the same practice together and are still married.

It's like, can we have one token "old married couple" for a little balance? I once said that the reason I never watched soap operas was that the people around me in real life lived sufficient frustrating drama for me. I'm beginning to feel the same way about House, MD - kind of "meh," like I'm tired of all the excessive drama re: interpersonal relationships. I mean, in some ways I'm a screwed-up hermit but (a) I recognize that not everyone has to be that way and (b) I'm not even THAT screwed-up. In House universe, I'd be the person House was accusing of having brain damage because I am generally happy and more-than-generally nice to other people.

I don't know. Sometimes I think if I were an alien from another planet, and all I learned of Earth came from its current television shows, I'd never come here, for fear of being set upon by people who are alternately needy, whiny, backstabby, or rude.

It's funny, some people excoriate television for showing people's lives as being more glamorous than reality - that they are thinner and prettier and they dress better and have nicer apartments - and yet, at the same time, it seems to me a lot of characters on television shows have greatly impoverished emotional lives relative to those of the real people - the less-pretty, less-wealthy, don't-drive-a-new-car sort of people - that I know.

I'd rather have the rich emotional life than the perfect cheekbones. Even if they offered to throw in a new car.

1 comment:

Lydia said...

Did you ever watch Firefly? One of the things I realy liked about it was the relationship between Wash and Zoe. By the time of the series, they'd been married for a while, and their relationship seemed really real; they bickered, but also obviously loved each other.