Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Seen on anther knitblogger's website: 15 rules (They say "for girls to live by" and I suppose some are female-specific. Unless you're the type of chap who wears lipstick, that is).

Not sure I agree with all of them, but a few selected ones:

"4. If more than three people are rushing off to do something and it’s not an organized sport, stop, take a minute, and decide for yourself: Do you really want to do anything with this pack of people?"

Yes. I have been served well in life by not automatically going, "Yeah, sure, I'll come along too! It'll be fun!"

"8. It is not possible to be too funny. Don’t envy others’ abilities to make people laugh. Work on your own funny voice. You have one."

YES. I've said one of the traits I find most attractive in a person (as a potential friend, or a guy as a potential guy-friend) is the ability to make me laugh. I don't mean the kind of mean, snarky, "If you don't have anything nice to say...well, sit next to me, honey" attitude, but a genuine humor, an ability to realize that life is pretty much absurd and sometimes the best way to survive is to laugh at it.

"10. If it seems like a bad idea, it is."

Trusting my gut has saved me from all manner of bad trouble.

(But conversely: "6. If you fear it, try it. And we don’t mean merely piercing. Try out for the play, speak truth to someone in power, get help for a problem, say no to someone who wants to do something with your body that you’re not sure you want to do." Sometimes I do tend to be a bit too passive or avoidant)

"15. Here’s the secret to self-esteem: It begins and ends in how you are spoken to. And the fundamental voice you need to listen to is your own. Speak to yourself the way you would speak to your best friend."

I am so guilty of not speaking to myself like I was speaking to my best friend. So guilty of mentally yelling at myself while exercising for not going faster or working harder. So guilty of telling myself "you could have been working on something meaningful" when I was daydreaming or knitting or writing on the blog. I don't always know how to be kind to myself. I'm more prone to speak to myself like a DI speaking to a raw recruit than a friend speaking to a friend. Perhaps that's why I so much seek the approval of others: because I don't always give it to myself.

"3. Wear lipstick. It feels great, and it’s fun, and all too often we depend on other people to make us feel good and show us a good time. Get yourself some lipstick, and every time you apply it, remember that this is one of your rules of life: to show yourself a good time, in your shade, on your terms."

This probably fits in with #15 somehow. I often forget to wear lipstick, even though I know it does make me look less pale.

2 comments:

dragon knitter said...

ever heard the phrase "you are your own worst enemy" ? i taught myself years ago, that i need to take fun "me" time sometimes, or i'll lose it. i'm less capable of taking care of the rest of my family if i don't take care of myself, and taking time out to make myself happy is one step towards that goal. (it was after child #4 started walking, and i realized that he was different, and a challenge)

go ahead and knit that stockinette sock. or the crazy-making lace shawl. if it makes you happy, you'll be more relaxed.

Lynn said...

Overall a good list but every time I see or hear the phrase "speak(ing) truth to power" I want to scream. I really means speaking opinion to power and that is a good thing to do but opinion is still just opinion and might or might not be "truth".

Okay, sorry for the soapbox speech.

One more thing, I hate lipstick. Well, maybe not hate. I do wear it once in a while but I really don't like the way it feels.