Thursday, July 09, 2009

I haven't done much cooking recently (it's been HOT and summer school takes most of my energy), and that made me sad. So when I ran out to the grocery this afternoon after my piano lesson, I picked up the necessaries for making those egg rolls I linked to the other day.

(Well, except garlic. THEY WERE OUT OF GARLIC. Seriously. So I'm going to run by Braum's tomorrow and see if they have garlic. Yes, I know the recipe uses garlic-in-a-jar, I'd rather use fresh cut up and sauteed with the mushrooms).

I did buy fresh mushrooms (baby portobellas) rather than the canned/jarred ones, and I'm going to saute them a bit to cook them down while the slaw mix "sweats" in the microwave.

I also bought the "optional" bean sprouts, thinking they might be good in the rolls too. (And the leftovers, I can make stir fry or something like pad thai with them).

So I think Saturday afternoon, I'm going to give these a try and see how they are. I hope they freeze well, because they would then make a super-simple entree, or something to have along with some fruit or something when I don't know what I feel like eating.

***

Yesterday I took the ecology class out to do forest sampling. Man, was it hot. And sticky. But there was one really cool thing - we saw lots and lots of tiny toads. I described them to the herpetologist today and he said they were probably Dwarf American Toads - he referred to them as "toadlets" and said they were probably newly emerged young toads who had just metamorphosed from being tadpoles.

I always like seeing stuff like that; it makes me happy to see an "unusual" animal or plant. And the toads really were pretty cute.

***

I'm glad the week is over; I'm tired. I'm going to relax this evening and then tomorrow and Saturday work on a textbook-chapter evaluation I'm getting paid to do.

No comments: