Thursday, March 26, 2009

I've pretty much beaten the cold. I don't know if it's just that I have an awesome immune system, or if the combination of zinc gluconate nose spray/lots of herbal tea/vitamin C/extra sleep did something.

I'm glad. I was really congested Tuesday and yesterday and I HATE that feeling.

Lydia, I have done the salt-water gargle in the past. I tend not to think of it unless someone nags me to do it because I don't like it. (Another thing I've tried, on others' suggestion, and just can not do: the Neti Pot. Yes, I know it's an ancient remedy. Yes, I know it works really well. The problem is, my OH NOES I'M DROWNING reflex kicks in and I wind up spitting salt water everywhere and possibly aspirating some of it.)

****
Today is a busy day, even though my classes are cancelled (it's Curriculum Contest, which is a day when high schoolers from the area come in to take a standardized test. The ones who give a (bleep) about it are in the running for a decent scholarship; the ones who don't get a day out of school and a chance to walk down to the Sonic or Braum's with friends for lunch.

(I helped out with it last year. It's pretty much a nightmare because the kids who don't give an expletive-deleted outnumber those who do. Or perhaps they're just so much more obvious).

But I have an exam to write (well, as of this point, it's half-written) and a bunch of grading to do (when I felt too ill to do it the other days). And I go over mid-morning to help advise new students into classes.

And tomorrow is the State Science Fair - I travel up to Ada for that. (I really hope the predicted bad weather - including SNOW SHOWERS - does not get as far south as Ada but they are saying "Pontotoc County" as part of the area of concern. And I also hope the bad weather doesn't keep some of the people away, or prevent them from getting home safely).

****

I'm back to hand-quilting more on the quilt again. The problem with these long-term projects is they don't have attractive, photogenic "stages" you can capture and show as pictures. (And as we all know, some people will not read a craft blog unless it's full of pictures [eye-roll]). There's also not as much to talk about in the doing - how can you come up with something to say about hand quilting that is clever and entertaining and has not been said before?

That said: I really do want to finish this sometime. I keep looking at that Provence quilt folded up in my craft closet and really want to be working on it. So I keep soldiering on with the quilt-in-the-frame (it's going on 6 1/2 years now). The change is that now I can actually envision a time when it will be finished - I do not have that many of the "full" blocks left to do, and only a few of the "half" blocks that were used for setting. (And then, of course, there's the whole border, but it's easy to ignore that fact for now).

1 comment:

Lydia said...

I'm glad you're feeling better.

The quilt sounds satisfying. Also, at six and a half, it's a young quilt; my mother is still working on my baby quilt.

I hope the Science Fair goes well.