Sunday, February 01, 2009

Cheeky monkeys!!!

sock monkeys top

Yeah, I finished the Sock Monkey fabric quilt top. It's mainly fabrics from the original Sock Monkey line, plus some Malibu Monkeys, plus some Counting Monkeys (or whatever that one's called).

I also added in some striped fabric I had, and a couple more chunks of the citrus-fruit print one - which has been a remarkably useful fabric; I probably should have bought more of it.

Here's a close-up. It's a simple quilt, 12" "plain" blocks, with a few framed-square and pinwheel blocks. (The pattern is called Jukebox and it is from one of the Fons and Porter "Love of Quilting" magazines - I don't remember which issue but it was probably within the last 8 months)

sock monkey close up

I also draped it over my big chair (it's harder to lay stuff out to photograph with the piano in the living room now) for another shot:

quilt on chair

It came out larger than I anticipated (though really, I shouldn't say that, all patterns print the "finished size" with the pattern but I don't always visualize quilts as being as large as they actually are). This is almost a twin bed size - certainly long enough but a bit narrower. What some quilt pattern writers call a "napping" size.

I like it. Yes, it's bright. But it actually works a lot better than I thought it would and the bright citrusy colors are fun.

I bought a piece of one of the monkey prints on a really good sale to use as the back. The problem is, it has a pale blue background, which isn't the ideal color. I might run down to the local quilt shop on Tuesday afternoon and see if they have any of that red print with the bananas on it, and if they have enough, get THAT for the backing. I don't know. I washed up the potential backing fabric but now I'm not sure I like it.

I do suppose that if I don't use it, it can always be repurposed somehow - either in, or as the back of, an eventual Linus quilt.

(As for this quilt? I'm keeping it for myself.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like it! I love the bright colors and the random different squares.