Sunday, October 26, 2008

People like quilt photos?

Well, a few more then:

I took a couple indoor pictures after Youth Group tonight so you can actually SEE the fabrics and colors in that Bento Box top:

finished bento box top

(Ignore the Iceberg Lettuce box. It's a box saved from my last trip to Sam's because it's the right size to stack my newspapers up so I can bundle them for recycling).

I like the top a lot better now that it is finished. The fabrics do not seem to "fight" with each other as much any more.

A close-up:

bento close up

And the backing, now that I can get a decent photograph (I didn't bother to unfold it; you can see what it's like from this picture.)

quiltback

Groovy, baby.

(Several of the fabrics were from what promoted itself as a "retro 70s" line. Well, I was alive in the 70s - though not very fashion-conscious - but the colors do not seem very 1970s to me.)

I also started another little quilt.

three six nine

This is going to be a small (36" by 45", which is described as crib sized) quilt using the Three Six Nine pattern. It's a very simple pattern - you stack up your fabrics, cut them, and then, following a trick the pattern suggests, reshuffle the fabrics a little so you can get blocks with four different fabrics in them with no advance planning...you can just sit and sew without having to mess with a design wall (or, if you're like me, laying it out on the floor).

This quilt is a bit of a departure for me as it is made from all fabrics from the same line. I bought these last summer, they were a line called "[someone's] Kitchen" (the "someone" might have been Effie or Ellie...I cut the selvedges off and now I don't remember the name).

closeup of lemonade quilt

The feature prints are lemonade, lemons, and cherries. I may consider using this as a cover on an occasional table (but NOT as a tablecloth on a dining table; I cringe when I see magazines doing that, even with a plastic cover over them.)

It's going to be backed with that green lemonade print, and bound with a yellow version of the red check.

This is a really fun pattern because it is so simple - I got most of the "basic" sewing done in a couple hours this afternoon. This would be a fantastic pattern for a quick baby quilt provided you could either machine quilt it yourself or you could have someone quilt it quickly for you - I think you could easily put the crib sized top together in a day.

The cutting is also very easy. I don't like it when quilts have super-fiddly cutting; for me, the sewing is the fun part and I like to get to that pretty quickly.

5 comments:

Lydia said...

Those are some pretty quilts.

alh said...

Your quilts are beautiful! I have my own crib size laid out on my floor right now too, and your pictures are making me want to start another!

Anonymous said...

Really pretty! I love the colors of the second one, especially.

-- Grace in MA

Anonymous said...

I love the second one too.

I'm not a big fan of cutting either. It's not much fun at all.

Kucki68 said...

Bento Box is turning out very nicely and the new project looks like fun. I really need to get back to my sewing room...