Sunday, September 21, 2008

If only it actually worked this way: wooden squirrel cage will obsess over your thoughts for you.

I have the "squirrel cage" mentality, especially at, um, ah, "certain" times (to preserve the gents reading this from too much embarrassment). But I don't think, for me, having some kind of cute piece of kinetic art would allow me to un-squirrel-cage my thoughts. Even if I did as the artist suggests and writes them down on slips of paper and put them in there.

If I could reliably find a way of making my brain go into a "suspend" mode where I didn't try to wring every last drop of meaning or concern out of my thoughts, I'd buy it. But I don't think one exists (absent years of grueling therapy and perhaps some neurotransmitter-altering chemicals). Sometimes reading works; sometimes a hot bath works. But not always.

No comments: