Thursday, June 12, 2008

I was involved with teaching or meetings - "other people's stuff" for nearly 13 hours yesterday. Yes, straight. I ate my lunch while writing a test.

Thankfully, I rarely have days like that. I think of what I've read about people working in the Defense (or that should really be, Defence) plants in Britain during WWII - at the height of things, there were people working 18 hour days, six or seven days a week. (And had I been around then? I probably would have been one of them, with no children to look after and no other real responsibilities). I cannot imagine what that would do to one's psyche. (Though I suppose the thought of "If people DON'T work this hard, we might all be part of the Third Reich in a couple years" was probably a pretty strong stimulus).

That said? I probably would have tried to get myself made a Land Girl; working the fields seems preferable to working in a factory, to me at least.

(Oh, and in case Lynn sees the previous post: problem seems to have resolved itself).

No comments: