Thursday, May 08, 2008

Chittavritti: The book I was thinking of turns out to be "The Cloudspotter's Guide." I don't have a copy of "Cloud Atlas." (And I think I'd get lost in it easily; that's a problem I have with many-POV books).

Ellen, I had not heard of that study but that is very interesting to me. "Read more books" as a New Year's Resolution (OK, I know, it was "Shakespeare") is actually a resolution I could get behind...

****

I do still knit.

Here's the start of the Bird's Nest shawl. Most of this knitting has been accomplished while invigilating exams.

(Yes, I think I am going to use that word now instead of "proctoring.")

bird's nest

It's a relatively easy pattern to memorize but it's also easy to lose attention and forget to make one of the yarn overs. (Fortunately there's a way to "fudge" them on the return row).

I also finished the little elephant from the Knitting at Knoon "Safari Friends" pattern.

Algernon

Originally it was going to be a girl elephant and be called something like Posey, but as I finished it up I decided it had to be a boy and be named Algernon.

(People who've never made toys may not get this. But it happens - you'll be working on something and its "personality" will come out and you will wind up naming it something totally different than you intended).

He is knit from Paton's Classic Merino in a pale blue. His eyes are "vintage" black buttons (I am not sure how old they are; they were on a card of 12 I bought for a buck in an antiques store. I'm guessing pre-1960s as the card is unlike typical button cards that started in that era).

Yes, I'm aware that he bears some resemblance to Max Rebo. (And I had to search for that. The name was nowhere in my memory...if the creature was even given a name in the movie. I searched on "Star wars blue elephant creature" and that brought it up).

Oh, I see further down in that article that Max Rebo is merely a stage name. The creature's real name is "Siiruulian Phantele." Remarkable how fleshed out what was essentially a throwaway group of characters have become.

If I had bothered to learn all this information during the time when the "original" Star Wars movies were out, I probably would not have had enough brain-space to actually complete a Ph.D....

No comments: