Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I have only one thing to say:

I really, really hate Daylight Saving Time. Especially now that it's starting earlier and going later. (And Congress: you don't think I'm on to what you're doing? You don't think that I KNOW you're going to, in the next year or two, make it a year-round thing, therefore making those of us who have to be at work before, say, 9 am, drive to work IN THE DARK for a goodly chunk of the year?)

I have gone from driving to work as the sun is coming up (last week) to driving to work in what feels like the middle of the night (this week). It's harder for me to back out of my drive without either (a) hitting my pecan tree or (b) messing up my neighbor's lawn by driving on it. Because I CAN'T SEE, because it is DARK.

My sleep schedule is all messed up. I don't want to eat when it's "time" to eat (and I don't have a choice - if I don't eat breakfast around 6:30 and lunch around noon, I don't have time to eat them at another time).

As for the "extra" hour of daylight that was stolen from my morning? I don't really get to enjoy it. You idle folks, who either work 9 to 5, or who are retired, or who are able to go and golf/garden/walk around outside in the afternoon - I hope you're enjoying my stolen hour of light. Because for much of that time, I'm spending it in windowless rooms in MEETINGS.

Good grief, if they have to take an hour away from us, why not take it during the middle of some meeting, instead of stealing it at night when we are all desperately trying to get enough sleep so we don't crash our cars and screw up at our jobs and get obese and die younger than we're supposed to?

(Why YES, I had a 14 hour work-day yesterday, why do you ask?)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Daylight Saving Time is actually like Monday holidays: it's intended primarily for the convenience of people who work in government offices. But I actually like it. I even liked it when I had to get up and drive in the dark.

They did try having it all year once but even people who like DST didn't like it in the middle of the winter. There was a lot of concern about children going to school in the dark.

Anonymous said...

We're suffering in my house, too. My daughter is waiting for the high school bus in the dark, AGAIN. (Thought we left that behind in January.) Everyone's sleep schedule is messed up. And that extra hour of sunlight at the end of the day, while cheerful, is pretty useless in the colder parts of the U.S. this time of year.

-- Grace in MA

dragon knitter said...

yesterday? sean was diagnosed with a bladder infection. today? he thought he was having an allergic reaction, so i took him to the doctor. ends up he has an EAR infection.

and a friend of mine? called me at 530 in the morning because her appendix was threatening to explode! she's fine, they got it out in time, and she should be home tomorrow, but STILL.

i hate daylight savings