Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Way back when (before the turn of the century*) when I took biochem, I took it through the U of M Med School. Three days a week, I'd truck over there before 8 am (it was about a 15 minute walk from my apartment if I made all the "walk" lights) and sit through an hour's class on DNA synthesis, and allllllll the steps of glycolysis, and things like that. One of the lecturers (it was one of those evil team-taught classes where you'd just get used to someone's teaching style, and then their four weeks were up) had obviously learned the Cyrillic alphabet before the Latin, judging from how he wrote. Another one had a most odd vocal quirk I won't try to reproduce here.

But one of them showed us this:



Ever since then, I've been searching for some reference to this video. I'd mention it to people and they'd give me that "baroo?" look that said either, "Are you sure you didn't eat someone's 'special' brownies before class that day?" or "Were you perhaps running a high fever when you thought they showed that?"

But it is real. And very very 1970s. They have taken "Jabberwocky" and interpretive dance and applied it to protein synthesis.

I seriously doubt I'd have been happy as a college student in the early 1970s - I recognize that I am far too square (and "straight," in all the senses of the word) to have been comfortable. But I'm happy that we have some of the products of that time to look at and consider.



(*in other words, pre 2000. I'm not THAT old. It would have been perhaps 1989)

No comments: