Monday, January 07, 2008

Let the parade of finished stuff begin. (I think I'm going to post one item a day, for the next several days, instead of doing them all at once. That way, if anyone's still on dial-up, it takes less loading time, and it also will allow me a bit more room for "commentary.")

First up (in order of when-completed): the amigurumi "critter" (it's kind of a dog-rabbit-generalized cutesy thing critter rather than a specific species) from the Whatsit pattern:

Peaseblossom

I used Caron Simply Soft in a hot pink. I didn't use the contrast color like the pattern recommended, and I think the lock-washer eyes I used were a millimeter larger than the ones called for (I have a hard time finding lock-washer eyes around here; I suppose I should try to find a good mail-order source).

When the "Critter" was done, I had to kind of figure out a good name. She was very obviously female (well, the pink being part - even though my understanding is that before the 1800s, pink was the "boy's color" and blue was actually considered the "girl's color" as it was seen as "more delicate").

But at any rate, I had decided she was a "she," so the name had to "work."

I thought of "Peaseblossom" (one of the fairies in A Midsummernight's Dream) and it worked so well. (But wait, you ask, wasn't Peaseblossom male in the play? Yes, he was, but I don't care...the name works, and so it will stay).

Like many amigurumi, this one is small - about 6 inches tall. (But a bit too "chunky" to work, proportionally, with most dollhouse furniture, I think). But there's something pleasing about the smallness of most amis. They work up quickly, you can line them up on a bookshelf without taking up too much room. And there is something pleasing about small toys - I remember that from being a child.

This was a fun pattern to make (and not difficult) and I like how it worked up. (And you could do them in any color you wanted; it's a made-up animal, so you don't have to worry at all about realism).

(Want to make one similar? The pattern is free, here from "Darncat Crochet")

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Erica:

Cute toy! I think Peaseblossom is a great name and it would never occur to me that it was anything other than female.

Thanks for thinking of those of us who are still on dial-up. DSL is not available where I live.

Charlotte

Lydia said...

She's very cute!

I played Peaseblossom in high school and I was female (and still am). When I've seen gendered fairies since, Peaseblossom has been female, as have been Titania's other attendants, while Oberon's have been male. (That may also have something to do with the difficulties of casting high school and college productions, though.)

dragon knitter said...

i like peaseblossom. i, personally, think she looks like a penelope, but peaseblossom works, lol.

so sweet