Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Heard that the FDA has approved cloned meat and milk as "okay" on the news today. Yeah, sure, it won't be happening tomorrow (and probably for a while, "cloned meat" will be more expensive...I could even see a Mr. Burns-like industry developing for people who ONLY want cloned meat for some perverse reason, where a premium is charged).

But: Do Not Want. I just feel uncomfortable with the idea of consuming milk from a cloned cow or meat (what fairly little I eat) from a cloned animal.

The thing that gets me - at least on the CBS radio story - is they're not going to require labeling. Argh. I want to KNOW. I want the CHOICE.

And yeah, you're free to tell me in the comments I'm being foolish, that I shouldn't be concerned about cloned meat. For me, it's more of an "icky" reaction than something I can really pinpoint scientifically and say "this is likely to go wrong and cause problems because."

I already buy the organic milk. I suppose because the organic farmers are concerned about the environment (and claim to be concerned about animal welfare), they probably won't be using any cloned cattle. And I would hope maybe some other producers would realize that a big segment of the public is going to be displeased with this and they will only use, and label as such, from non-cloned animals.

(I do wish I could easily find organic cheese and yogurt, but when your shopping options are as limited as mine, you either take what you can get or do without. And yeah, I know, you can make your own yogurt and cheese, but I'm not prepared to set up that kind of cottage industry.)

Of course, the best solution would be to have local producers that you KNEW. But that's not really a reality for me, at least right now - if I wanted "local" eggs, I'd have to drive 40 miles one way to buy them, and for "local" beef or lamb, it's 30+ miles the other way. (Yeah, I know, beef and lamb FREEZE, but you haven't seen the state of my freezer lately).

Stuff like this irritates me - the not-labeling - because if anything, I think there's a trend in America where consumers (at least some of us) want to know MORE about where our food comes from and what's in it, not LESS.

(Oooh, I wonder about restaurants. Can you request a guarantee from a restaurant that the steak you're ordering came from an "original" cow?)

I don't know. I'm not a vegetarian although I eat plant food most of the time (I guess you'd call me a "flexitarian" with a heavy focus on milk and eggs), but this might be enough to get me to "boycott" meat unless I can be sure of what it's from.

(Random Simpsons reference: "Think smaller, more legs." In reference to Homer's guess that the Krusty Rib sandwich was made of pork.)

(Comments may close if I get too many flames for eating meat. It's my choice, I realize there are a variety of consequences to it, and I'm willing to deal with the moral/health/economic implications.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is very scary to think that they aren't even going to label it...first they think that sending dog food production and toy manufacturing overseas is a good idea...what do we get? Poisoned dog food and lead based paint.

I think I should have a choice as to what I feed myself and my family. I already get milk from Braum's so I don't feed hormones and steroids to my sons when they drink milk.

Anonymous said...

Weeeellll... I don't see anything wrong with it at all. A cloned cow is just a cow that was conceived a little differently. But I suppose the "ick" reaction to cloned meat is just as valid as my "ick" reaction to things like shrimp, crabs and lobster. A lot of people think they're great but I think they're icky and I will never eat them.