Thursday, December 13, 2007

Half-done with the harvest.

Taking a little break and looking for things online that delight me and make me laugh.

Found one: knitted Space Invader toy/pillow.

Hahahahahaha. (The blog title - SAS knits it again - I know it's based on her first name, but SAS is one of the big statistical packages we use here in the States. It makes me smile to imagine a statistical software package knitting. And you know, if it did? It probably would make something like Space Invaders.)

When I was a kid, we had a TI computer. It had games for it that were kind of knockoffs of the Atari games - they had a Space Invaders type one with differently-shaped things... Each different level had its own "thing." (it was NOT TI Invaders, at least the version of it that had screenshots online - there were these "spores" that hatched into the things....)

The Attack! That's what it was! Oh, my gosh, yes. I can hear the ominous little synthesized tune that went with it now... doo doo doo doo doo dooo dooot, doo doo doo dooo dooo dooo dooo.... here is a screenshot, and in the very middle is the "thing" that I remember best - red, vaguely humanoid, with that white dot on it). I should make my own version of a Space Invaders, making one of those "things." Because really, I played The Attack a lot more than I played Space Invaders when I was a kid.

You know? Those red things look a wee bit like "Plankton" from SpongeBob SquarePants. I knew I liked Plankton for a reason...he triggers memories of sitting in front of the first computer we ever had, playing a crazy game.

We also had Hunt the Wumpus, which was one of my favorites. And Alpiner. And if you didn't feel like playing a game-game, there was an excellent music program where you could score music and then the computer would play it. And I learned to play chess using a game on that computer.

No comments: