Monday, September 17, 2007

Well, Diann, all he said was "hook a hose up to the spigot on the bottom and drain it out."

I figure that's easy enough but it was something I'd not been doing. (Partly because the heater is in a place that is difficult to get in to.) At least it's close enough to my side door that I could just run the hose out the door.

My big worry - what woke me up at 3 am today - is that I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE WHERE THE WHOLE-HOUSE WATER CUTOFF IS. Every plumbing issue I've had before, I could find a cutoff close to the sink or toilet and shut the water off from there.

I had visions of the installers shrugging their shoulders and walking off when I told them that. (I do know where the water meter is - perhaps there's a cutoff close to that? If not, it must be under the house, and I don't go under houses...claustrophobia issues.)

So now I have something else, besides things not being up to code, to worry about.

I heated water on the stove this morning to sort-of bathe (one of the side effects of this cold is that you apparently perspire quite copiously. And also, I spent most of yesterday afternoon scrubbing areas of the kitchen/laundry room area [where the new heater will go] that I hadn't scrubbed in a while. I found a little pile of pecans behind the washer and dryer when I moved them - from when I had a mouse a couple years ago. So I had to wash up at least a little, and the 70 degree or whatever water out of the tap didn't appeal.)

It occurs to me now why so many families, even middle-class families, 100 years ago had servants - living without modern conveniences is a bigger job than I imagined. Or why the children had so many chores, if there weren't servants. It would be compounded even more if I was having to go to a well, spring, or stream and bring water back to the house from there. (I can also see why relatively few people bathed regularly in the past).

1 comment:

dragon knitter said...

call the water company. SOMEBODY comes out and reads the meter, lol. the shut off should be near that (at least it has been in every house i've had)