Friday, May 11, 2007

Oh, my friends, rejoice with me.

Hiawatha is done.

hia1

(The photos aren't the greatest but I grabbed them quickly this afternoon - I have to leave in about 1/2 hour for a baby shower).

Here's a Cheryl-Oberle-style shot from the back

hiaback

And three shots showing detail:

hia2

hiadetail

hiadet2

I'm always surprised at how much lace CHANGES when you block it - this kind of crumpled up thing opens up, relaxes, even the texture of the yarn changes.

It's kind of like, when you come home at the end of the day, and you're all tense and stuff, you're all knotted up, and you take some time to do yoga, including the recommended 10 to 15 minutes in "Savasana" at the very end, and when you get up, you're like a different person, because the yoga relaxed you so much.

It's kind of like that.

I'm not wearing the shawl tonight - it's rather warm out and we are also having lasagne (I've never been to a baby shower that was a FULL MEAL before). So I don't want to risk getting tomato sauce on it (and then having to re-wash and re-block it. Believe me, I want to go though blocking this thing as few times as I can manage).

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful job -- knitting and blocking!

Charlotte

Christa said...

It's stunning (and huge!). No wonder it took so long to knit.

dragon knitter said...

that is absolutely frigging amazing! and HUGE! i bow to your lacey awesomeness

Devorah said...

Magnificent! And HUGE!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous, I could never wear it 'cause I'm too short but it looks great on you.

Anonymous said...

Brava! That's a big lace monster, that is.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is amazingly gorgeous!

-Lydia

http://homepage.mac.com/nikandre/iblog/index.html

Bess said...

GASP!

perfect perfect perfect!

My birthday is in September, btw. :D

And I truly enjoyed the post about the craft books too - got me to thinking. The adult books I loved to check out were the Chas Addams cartoons in the Quarto section and the palm reading books. My first "grownup" novel was Jane Eyre, a pivotal guide to my budding maturity.

But the craft love of my life were Erica Wilson's crewel embroidery books. Sigh. How Happy those memories are. Thank you for drawing them to the surface.

Jennifer said...

Wow. The shawl is really very beautiful. You should be proud indeed!

kbehroozi said...

You've been working on this forever--so nice to see it finished. What an accomplishment!

I hope you get to wear it somewhere fun soon and get tons of compliments on it.

Katie

PS: San Francisco is cool in the summer! Hint, hint...