Sunday, May 27, 2007

A couple of other things:

It must have rained like crazy here while I was gone; everything's wet. That's kind of unusual, even for (still) May. I do hope we have a cooler wetter summer than the past few we've had; it will be good to have the drought end.

I have a couple servings' worth of beans I picked off my bean plants (the French Fingerlings are super-productive; the Tenderpods less so). My tomato plants are starting to flower and seem to be doing well. (I do hope it stops being so very wet; that can lead to blossom-end rot in the tomatoes).

I made granola again today; I did half a batch of the Koinonia granola (the kind I made before). Half a batch because I was a little low on rolled oats and also because I didn't feel like wrangling such a huge amount of stuff again.

Here's the first photo of one of my week-off projects.
olaf
This is Olaf. Olaf is made from that monster pattern (it's a .pdf file) I linked to a while back.

My monster looks a lot different from the one on the pattern; the shape of the head came out differently (I think that was how I stuffed it). And I decided my monster needed two eyes. His eyes are vintage plastic buttons scrounged out of my grandmother's button box (which my mother currently has custody of). His nose is a different vintage button from the same source - in fact, it looks not unlike some of the "vintage Czech glass buttons" I bought a year or so ago at an antique shop. (There was just this one lone button in the box so I didn't feel too bad using it as a monster nose).

I used a strand of dark turquoise Pelliza (not even sure if that yarn's made any more; it was part of a grab-back from the late, lamented eKnitting online shop) mixed with a strand of dark turquoise Muskoka (which I know is not made any more). It took less than a full skein of each. The "Knobbles" are just cream colored Paton's Classic Wool, but they wound up going off a little bit off-centered.

I think Olaf looks kind of like a baby monster.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Welcome Home! I love the monster.

Kucki68 said...

Love the monster!

And have you seen this:

http://stitch.hellooperator.net/free-patterns/amigurumi-doll/

Rob said...

Muskoka is the same yarn as Mission Falls wool (the old stuff, not the new stuff as of Fall 2006). The same mill made "old" MF1824Wool that made the Muskoka.

Just FYI

dragon knitter said...

zaba zeebop

that's the sound olaf makes.

too cool!