Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Just received an e-mail reminding me that Thursday is my campus' annual commemoration of the Murrah Federal Building bombing (I live in Oklahoma, for those unfamiliar...so the Murrah Building bombing is still a fresh wound here). The e-mail noted that there would also be a table set up where we can send our condolences to people at Virginia Tech.

And Friday is the anniversary of the Columbine shootings.

It gives one pause...all of these things, all in a single month of the year. It makes me wonder if there's something about April, something that pushes already-unstable people over the edge. "April is the cruelest month," Eliot said, and while I always used to joke that that was because taxes came due, I'm not sure I can joke about it with so much sanguinity any more.

***

On a happier note: I've been thinking about future projects.

I've been working a bit on the Tumblers quilt (just haven't photographed it...I'm going to wait until the top's done for the next picture). I've got a couple quilts' worth of fabric ahead and soon will be faced with the pleasant dilemma of which to make next. I think I'm going to do the one with bright, mostly Kaffe Fassett prints and brown sashing (the idea is for the effect to be like a flower garden - it's going to be one of the ones from this book. It's a simple quilt, large and small squares surrounded by sashing, but with the right colors it's very effective). I also have a bunch of grey/lavendar/grey-green prints (again, some Fassett) that I bought a while back with no real project in mind - but I think I have one in mind now.

I also dug around some in my stash and turned up the skein of Opal Handpaint (in a wonderful green colorway - like the "40 shades of green" of Ireland). I got it in a swap with Diann quite some time back, and, as I often do with "special" yarn, I put it away until I could find a pattern special enough to do it justice.

Well, I found the pattern.

I'm going to do another pair of the "embossed leaves" socks (the pattern was in Interweave, and they've also reprinted it in their new sock book). I've made this one before, but I think it will look good in the Opal. And it was a really fun pattern to do - it's a little bit fiddly but there's a nice rhythm to it once you get going that makes knitting the socks enjoyable. (And they look cool. I love knitting patterns that look like something "real").

I also have to admit...a while back I bought the KnitPicks "Gloss" to make "Thermal" from Knitty. I got the brilliant purple color, partly because I ordered it when it was still winter and I thought the purple was just what I needed. (I still think that). Granted, Thermal's a bit low-cut, but I figure if I don't make the very most formfitting size for me, I can wear it over a t-shirt or even a nice camisole (except I don't currently own any nice camisoles) and be appropriately modest that way. (I like the deep scoop neck; I don't want to alter the pattern.) I'm thinking about winding the yarn off for this and starting it sometime.

Except, I really want to get more done on both the Greek pullover and on Kenobi. And finish the various socks on the needles.

3 comments:

dragon knitter said...

i think i agree with you about the month of april. today, of all days (tax day, oy!) there was a bomb threat at the main branch of the post office. at 4 pm. talk about lousy timing! as far as i know, it was a hoax, but they evacuated 300 employees from the building, and were telling people where else they could go to get their taxes mailed on time. i'm just glad i mailed mine yesterday! (some of my state taxes were due yesterday, so i just shipped the whole mess off (by the way, i owed oklahoma $63. same crap as last year, if you remember, and i still get no benefits from those states. sigh)

i'd like to see that handpaint, it sounds gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

That "40 shades of green yarn" is so lovely.

Several months after I sent it off to you I bought a hank of lovely handpainted green yarn. Brought it home, entered it in my spreadsheet, and realized I'd just again bought the same yarn I'd sent you!

I'm keeping it this time, and the funny thing is, I started the leaf lace socks in it about 6 months ago! At this rate, it will take me at least a year to get the first one done.

Kucki68 said...

So hurry up with the tumbler quilt, I really want to see another photo of it. (Just kidding about the first part, but serious about the second part.)

Knit the greek pullover, it will be springwearable and then cast on Thermal. Kenobi is a patient yoda, it won't mind...