Thursday, April 05, 2007

If it weren't for in-progress photos, I'd have no photos at all.

(It's one of those busy weeks again).

First, the back of the Kenobi jacket:

kenobiback

It's almost done. I have a couple more inches to go, then the shoulder decreases.

This is going to need aggressive blocking - you can see how the moss stitch sort of wants to pull up.

I worked on it a bit last night while watching one of my more recent Amazon purchases: the dvd of the Albert Campion novel I read about a month ago.

I'm slowly learning the sundry joys of having a dvd player; one of them is being able to obtain things you want to see, that you will likely want to see again.

I do not know why I love so many of the Golden Era (particularly British) mystery series - both in novel and video form (someday I am going to collect at least some of the David Suchet "Poirot" movies). I also love the BBC productions - they're not always as flashy and special-effect-enhanced as some productions, but the definitely have charms. (One of those being that they are slower and more thoughtfully paced than your typical US crime-drama).

And I've long had a bit of a schoolgirl crush on Peter Davison, ever since I saw him as "Tristan" in the dramatization of the "All Creatures Great and Small" books.

I've only seen part of "Look to the Lady" so far but I'm struck by how closely it follows the book. The only big change I've seen is that the Caireys are no longer a visiting American family; they are now Scots. I suppose that may be because the best actors they found for the parts either were Scots, or could do a more convincing Scots accent than the New Englander American accent that would be required. (And I think a New Englander accent would be difficult for someone not native to the area - there are lots of subtleties of different classes and different geographic locations, and that someone with a university education would speak differently from someone with a 10th grade education, and that someone from a rural area would speak differently than someone from town. I'm sure there's the same (and even more) in British dialects/accents, but my ear doesn't pick those up, and anyway, a British crew and British actors would understand those subtleties).

I will say that the chap who plays Magersfontein Lugg (what a name!) isn't at all how I pictured Lugg - I pictured a taller, more athletic fellow. And someone with a squarish, lugubriuous face...I keep seeing, I think he played a policeman in "Mary Poppins" - Arthur Treacher?

Anyway, I'm enjoying the video. (I only got about 1/3 of the way - or maybe less - through it last night).

****

And my basil plants are starting to come up:

basil

No comments: