Saturday, June 10, 2006

"How you do anything is how you do everything"

(that's from Lela Nargi's "Knitting Lessons," if I remember correctly).

And yes, I think it applies: yesterday, my pre-field stalling/griping, my pre-rewrite stalling - both were soprt of pointless because once I started working I enjoyed what I was doing.

Now, today, with sewing - I cut out the simpler of the two dresses last night. But one of the early steps on the dress is making eight knife-pleats right on the front of the bodice. And I procrastinated on that - they were going to be tricky, what if I messed one up - could I rip it out and still have the dress look okay? And then there were the later issues of setting in sleeves. And then, hemming.

Well, I decided to just start. And really, the trickiest part (or the trickiest part that SHOWS) is now done...I'm going to do the side and shoulder seams (the big satisfying part where it begins to look like a DRESS) after I grab some lunch.

I notice I tend to be like that - I let my perfectionism paralyze me a little bit - when there's something hard to do (or especially, when there's a difficult decision that impacts a lot of people), I don't want to do anything, I just want to push whatever it is away from me and not do it, or at least not do it "right now."

But if I just grit my teeth and tell myself the "hard part" will be short, or that I've been successful at similar things in the past, I can break through the procrastination (usually). And I feel really good when I do that.

No comments: