Friday, February 20, 2004

No idea if they ship to the U.S. or not, but there are some wonderful knitted toy patterns by Alan Dart out there. I particularly like the pterodactyl. Another designer who has toy patterns is, of course, Jean Greenhowe. I have to admit I love her patterns (even though I've never made anything from them) because I grew up reading mostly British "chapter books" when I was a child, and having a character named "Young Alf" seems so very British, and so very cozily Miss Read or Lewis Carroll.

(Bill the Lizard was, for some reason, one of my favorite characters out of Carroll's books. I think I felt sorry for him being shot up the chimney. When I was a child, I was quite good at making small figures out of felt and chenille stems, and I remember I made myself a Bill the Lizard to sit on my bookcase. No, sadly, I don't have Bill any more, I'm not sure what became of him. Perhaps when I get a bit of time, I should make myself a Bill II. I hadn't thought of Bill for years before this morning...).

No comments: