Wednesday, March 05, 2003

Okay, some knit-progress:

I am up through the heel flap on the second of the feather-and-fan socks. I am within 1" of being done with the back (the first part, sigh) of the Lightning-Bolt Family sweater. I have begun the colorwork on the second Huron Mountain sock.

This weekend I didn't do much knitting, I was digesting data. And I learned that my home computer is sadly nearing the end of its life (the screen "goes red" when you first turn it on. I have been told this is a symptom that the fluorescent backlighting tube is going to burn out soon). So. I am looking into new computers (the home computer I have is 5 years old, has been in for repairs before, and to repair the screen now would cost almost half what a new 'puter would cost).

So, my Lenten decision this year: I am not going to spend any "unnecessary" money. No yarn purchases. No fabric purchases. No clothes, no new books, no shoes, no fancy candles, no fancy soap. Nothing but the necessities of food, bill-paying, gas, and medications until the end of Lent. And thereafter, if necessary, 'till I have recouped the cost of the new computer.

Sigh. You are going to have to help me hold to this, you know. If, between now and April 20, I talk about going shopping for things or being tempted by stuff online, you are going to have to send me an email chastising me. Remind me of the computer I have to buy. Remind me of my taxes (I haven't done them just yet; I'm waiting on the info needed for Schedule D, but I know I will owe money, I always do).

I will rely on stash for the next 40 days (and longer, if necessary). After all, I do have at least 15 pairs of socks' worth of yarn in stash, and several sweaters' worth, and a couple of shawls' worth...

No comments: