Saturday, March 08, 2003

lost

Last night, I was sorting laundry, with plans of doing a couple loads that evening and today. I made a pile of grey/denim things, a pile of brown/tan things, and then a pile of green things.

In each pile were a couple pairs of the superwash-wool handknit socks (yes, I wash them in the machine on gentle. They fuzz a bit but that's better than having them moulder in the bottom of the hamper until I find the time/inclination to handwash). Anyway, I looked over the pile of green things and realized: my pair of old Opals is there, the Capri Turquose Fern Leaf Lace ones are there, the drunken master ribbing ones are there, but only one of the 2002 Opal green socks was.

oh, dear.

So I went through the cuffs of all the slacks I had worn recently - not there.
I unloaded the hamper again - not there.
I checked my sock drawer(s) in case I had washed one and put it away - not there.
I searched under the bed - not there.

oh, dear.

Now what? These were some of my favorite socks. They fit well. They were as close to being identical in striping as any of the self-striping socks I've made. I liked the color.

I went and searched the cuffs of the slacks I had washed and hung in the closet, in case it was stuck in a cuff. Not there.

I sat down on the floor. No, I decided, I'm not going to try to buy more of the yarn and make a replacement sock. No, I'm not going to try to turn it into a sock dog or other sock critter - cutting a handknit sock would surely spell disaster.

I felt quite bereft.

I decided to search again. I went carefully through the piles of clothes. Carefully through the hamper. Looked under the bookcase near the hamper. Went carefully through the pants cuffs.

Then I realized that I had a pair of ski underwear, that I had put on one afternoon when I came home and wanted to be warm and comfortable, and I hadn't checked those.

so I reached in the right leg - nothing.
then I reached in the left leg.

Voila! The sock was there. I was extremely relieved, and extremely happy.

found

No comments: