Wednesday, March 26, 2003

I finished the back of the Lightning-Bolt Family pullover last night. I also put some time in quilting on my current quilt (I have not kept up with my resolution to do at least 10 minutes a day on it).

I also saw a quilt in the new Quilter's Newsletter Magazine (their website doesn't have anything on the current issue up, so no link). It's called "Good Neighbors" and is one of those "series" quilts -part of the pattern will be published in each of the next 5 issues. I really like it, it's a medallion quilt with a large house block in the center, and then a series of borders all made with different house and tree blocks.

I enjoy the pictorial pieced blocks - where you have a house or a tree or what is clearly a flower when you are done. Also, I like the idea that the quilt has so many different blocks - one of the things that really drags me down in making bedsized quilts is the "make 85 blocks, all exactly the same" situation (I could never do one of those red-and-white or blue-and-white quilts). The thought that I could spend a Sunday afternoon, say, making the tree blocks, and then the next time I turned to the quilt, there was a different kind of block to make, appeals to me.

The pattern in the magazine is done in bright Patrick Lose primaries, but I'm thinking it would also look good out of late-1800s-era reproduction fabrics - which I have a lot of in stash.

I have too many projects going already, but this one really tempts me. I may look around at home this afternoon and see if I have an empty Rubbermaid big box or a big cardboard box where I could store the components of the quilt as I picked away at it...

No comments: